Sunday, 11 February 2007

Choking

Choking is obviously a bad thing - we all agree on that much I guess.

A great description I heard of the difference between choking and gagging is that if your baby is red in the face and noisy then it is okay....if they are blue and quiet there is something wrong!

Seriously though, whilst I have put this information on here, I am not a doctor and I am not medically trained. The information on here I have lifed from sources I have found on the internet (who is also not medically trained!!). Bear this in mind when reading this...

If your baby is choking then their airway will have become blocked and they will be unable to move the object themselves. I have read a variety of ways how to remove the object, but they amount to holding your baby with their head lower than their body and patting firmly on the back. The general rule seems to be with the baby lying along your forearm.

There are further actions which they go on to recommend if the item is still stuck, but I do not feel comfortable in simply reproducing them here. If this doesn't work, and your baby is still struggling, then call 999.

My recommendations are twofold:

  1. If you are concerned that you would not know what to do in an emergancy situation then take a first aid course. I believe there are ones run specifically about infant/child first aid
  2. If in any doubt - phone 999

Hope that helps a little?

love

Mel x

No comments: